Rafting is a great activity for people of all ages and demographics, but it can be especially fulfilling if you are still in college. While all of the “normal” reasons apply of course, there are plenty of extra reasons beyond the norm!
Keep reading to see a list of our Top 10 Reasons to Raft (College Edition)
- It is a great way to break up the monotony of dorm life and studying. What better way to blast out the winter cobwebs than by jumping into fast and exciting whitewater?
- It is local. Many schools throughout the continental United States are within a few hours of a body of water long enough to support whitewater rafting.
- It is sometimes sponsored by your university. Every school is different, but many colleges offer outdoor adventure clubs that may organize trips to local whitewater rafting outfitters and other fun outdoor sports. This is a great way to meet people and simplify your trip!
- Exercise. Duh. What better way to burn off those extra dining hall calories? And the best part is – it doesn’t even feel like you are working out!
- Team building. If you are in an organization at your school, why not take everyone whitewater rafting? It is a great way to foster cooperation and communication between the members of your group.
- Cost effectiveness. Whitewater rafting is a fairly consistent and predictable cost that is much lower than many other activities of equal excitement! Depending on your lodging requirements, a weekend on the whitewater can work out much cheaper than many other getaways.
- Student discounts. Speaking of saving money, many outfitters also offer discounted packages to college students that may be completely inclusive.
- Making new friends! If you are all rafting, chances are you will probably all enjoy lots of other fun outdoor activities.
- Nature. We spend so much of our time inside, staring at a screen, that sometimes we forget there is a whole big world outside (and the air smells better too!). You might even get a tan.
- It is FUN. So when you go into class on Monday and someone asks you what you did all weekend, you’ll have a great answer for them!
These are our top reasons to go on a rafting adventure – obviously there are many, many more! Do you have one you think we should add to our list? Leave it in a comment below!